Reporting Standards for print and digital editions of products registered in the ABC Bulk Distribution sector.
View Full Standards
( printable PDF )
- General Principles and Record Keeping
- Free Pick Up Copies
- Free Requested Delivered Copies
- Sample Free Distribution
- Single Copy Subscription Sales
- All You Can Read Sales
- Retail Sales (Sale or Return)
- Retail Sales (Limited Sale or Return)
- Single Copy Sales
- Digital Editions
- Reported Data
- Basic Cover Price
- Issues to be included / excluded
- Reporting Periods
- Certificate Types
- Return Form Submission, Audit, Certification
- Caps by Supply Type – Free Pick Up Copies
Digital Editions - allowable content changes between a print parent edition and its Digital Edition have been amended.
Free Digital Editions - can now be included under the Free Requested Delivered Copies category where distribution is demonstrated by the active opening of the copy.
Paid Digital Editions - All You Can Read Sales category introduced, for copies where the consumer has paid and viewed a copy as part of a multi-publication offer.
Temporary standards changes issued to help address the challenges of coronavirus.
Issued March 2020
ROI publications that previously reported under separate ROI ABC Bulk Distribution standards will now report under these standards.
Issued December 2017
- Excluded issues - Christmas (Daily titles only): The following has been added in relation to optional exclusions for the Christmas/New Year period: "If the fall of days renders these dates inappropriate ABC reserves the right to amend the dates for any particular year". It has been agreed that for 2017 publishers may opt to exclude issues published on Friday 22nd December from the average circulation. The issue's circulation must be reported separately on the certificate in line with existing requirements.
- Sample Free Distribution - new category available from September 2015: This new category will allow you to claim copies that meet the existing rules for Free Pick Up, except for the fact that their distribution does not follow a regular and consistent pattern. Therefore one-off or irregular distributions can be claimed under this Sample Free Distribution category and will be analysed by type by issue. You must obtain ABC’s agreement in advance of the distribution. Due to the increased audit time this type of distribution will incur, additional costs will be payable which will be dependent upon the extent of the job. Please contact us for guidance on this.
- Retail Promotions - Guidance on discounts / cash reimbursements: Clarification of how in-store promotions that result in discounts or cash reimbursements affect the reporting of the publication for ABC purposes.
- Retail promotions - Guidance on clarification of clear and conspicuous pricing: Clarification of what is clear and conspicuous pricing when a publication is sold in-store as part of a bundle or package with other products.
If you require information on any earlier changes please contact us.
Reporting Standards Group (RSG)
The Reporting Standards Group (RSG) members below have been approved by the ABC Board and represent the wider membership in the development of the Reporting Standards. As an ABC member, if you have any issue or request about these standards, you can contact us or any of the RSG members below.
Andrew Guiton, UK Director of Distribution, Metro
Chris Reed, Mediacom
Gaby Cornish, Associate Director - Investment, Starcom Mediavest Group
Gianni Cavalli, Distribution Director, City AM Ltd
Details of the weeks applied to each audit month and the months applied to each reporting period.
ABC Bulk Distribution Data
View the latest data in our Data Hub.
If you require past versions of Reporting Standards you can find them here.