Reporting Standards for print and digital editions of products registered in the Republic of Ireland Business Magazines sector.
View Full Standards
( printable PDF )
- Controlled Free Circulation
- Non-Controlled Free Circulation
- Monitored Free Distribution
- Sample Free Distribution
Paid Single Copies
- Retail Sales (Sale or Return)
- Retail Sales (Limited Sale or Return)
- Retail Sales (Firm Sale)
- Single Copy Sales
- Digital Licences
- Geographical Analysis
- Demographic Analysis
- Issues to be included / excluded
- Reporting Periods
- Return Form Submission, Audit, Certification
- Personal Identifier Question
- New ABC Standards have been agreed for ROI Business Magazines. The link above details significant changes in reporting and circulation requirements that will come into effect from Reporting Periods ending December 2018
- An example certificate illustrating the new design and layout can be viewed here. Please note this includes examples of optional data and tables
Demographic reporting: We have simplified the options for reporting demographic data
Digital Editions: You may claim Digital Edition copies in the Controlled Non-Requested category
Optional analyses - You can report, with ABC's agreement, additional information on the certificate. ABC will review the request and confirm whether the information can be reported and any associated cost.
Event Audience (Multi-Platform Certificate/Report) - You can report a simple event audience figure on a Multi-Platform Certificate/Report. The attendance figure will comprise people that have attended (whether paying or free), with them being counted once on each day they attend.
Awards Seat Sales (Multi-Platform Certificate/Report) - You can report seat sales for Awards Events on a Multi-Platform Certificate/Report. Further details of attendees are not required.
Digital Editions - you can now include live social media feeds, news and video feeds. The principle of a Digital Edition being inert once published has been removed, and editorial can be updated after publication, as long as at least 75% of the editorial from the print parent is present at any point in the Digital Edition.
Other Bulk Distribution - you can now claim back issues in this section, but will also report the date(s) of these distributions.
Issue reporting - publications that have more than 56 issues in a Reporting Period will now report the detail for all their issues rather than a summary statement.
If you require information on any earlier changes please contact us.
The Irish Council
The Irish (Republic of Ireland) Council has the responsibility for ABC Reporting Standards for Republic of Ireland giving it the authority to develop rule sets directly relating to Irish (ROI) publications.
A publication will report under the ROI Reporting Standards if it publishes the majority of its circulation/distribution in the Republic of Ireland.
The members of the Council are:
- Magazines Ireland, Grace Aungier, Chief Executive
- Independent News & Media, Enda Daly, Operations / Circulation Analysis
- Association of Advertisers in Ireland (AAI), Barry Dooley
- Glanbia Consumer Foods Ireland, Eoin Doyle, Head of Marketing, Food
- EuroTimes, Colin Kerr, Executive Editor
- NewsBrands Ireland, Ann Marie Lenihan, Chief Executive Officer
- Brendan McCabe, Chair
- PHD, Jason Nebenzahl, Managing Director
- Local Ireland, Johnny O'Hanlon, Director
- IAPI, Charley Stoney, CEO
- The Irish Times, Fran Walsh, Newspaper Sales Development Manager
Island of Ireland report
View the latest report for this sector and find out when the next report is released.
If you require past versions of Reporting Standards you can find them here.