Reporting Standards for print and digital editions of products registered in the Regional Publications sector.
View Full Standards
( printable PDF )
Paid Single Copies
- Retail Sales (Sale or Return)
- Retail Sales (Limited Sale or Return)
- Retail Sales (Firm Sale)
- Single Copy Sales
- Single Copy Subscription Sales
- Paid Employee Copies
- Publisher Controlled Direct Delivery
- Voucher Subscription Sales
- Multiple Copy Subscription Sales
Paid Multiple Copies
- Free Pick Up Copies
- Free Letterbox Delivery
- Free Requested Delivered Copies
- Sample Free Distribution
- Issues to be included / excluded
- Reporting Periods
- Return Form Submission, Audit, Certification
- Caps by Supply Type – Free Pick Up Copies
- Personal Identifier Question
Consolidated auditing - amendment to give greater flexibility to the annual audit of six-monthly certificates
Free Pick Up/Sample Free Distribution: Free copies packaged with other newspapers, magazines or products can now be included in these categories. Examples include a free publication within a retail multipack, a publication inserted within another publication and a free publication within a goodybag
Issued December 2017
Excluded issues - Christmas (Daily titles only): The following has been added in relation to optional exclusions for the Christmas/New Year period: "If the fall of days renders these dates inappropriate ABC reserves the right to amend the dates for any particular year". It has been agreed that for 2017 publishers may opt to exclude issues published on Friday 22nd December from the average circulation. The issue's circulation must be reported separately on the certificate in line with existing requirements.
- New ABC Standards have been agreed for Regional Publications. The link above details significant changes in reporting and circulation requirements that will come into effect from Reporting Periods ending December 2017.
- Excluded issues: The ability to exclude an issue of a paid for publication from the average circulation due to a local bank holiday has been amended to those issues where sales are affected by a local public holiday, evidenced either by publication on an official local authority website or by virtue of a long-standing custom/tradition previously recognised by ABC.
If you require information on any earlier changes please contact us.
Reporting Standards Group (RSG)
The Reporting Standards Group (RSG) members below have been approved by the ABC Board and represent the wider membership in the development of the Reporting Standards. As an ABC member, if you have any issue or request about these standards, you can contact us or any of the RSG members below.
Alison Jarvis, Newspaper Sales Shared Manager, Reach plc
Darron McLoughlin (Chair), Audience Development Director, Archant Norfolk
Fiona Hodges, Regional Director, Wavemaker
Jeff Almond, Media Facilities Executive, The News Media Association
Keith Donaldson, Chief Executive, JICREG
Scott Barnard, Account Manager, Amplifi
Tina Callcutt, JPI Media
|June 2019 (6 & 12 month audit periods)||29/07/2019|
Details of the weeks applied to each audit month and the months applied to each reporting period.
Regional Publications report
View the latest report for this sector and find out when the next report is released.
If you require past versions of Reporting Standards you can find them here.